Transition to adult living

How to Transition to Adult Living for Young Adults with Special Needs

Transition to adult living

How to Transition to Adult Living for Young Adults with Special Needs

Transitioning into living as an adult is challenging for every young person. However, it can definitely feel far more challenging for special needs young adults. For those with a developmental disability, intellectual disability, etc. the future may not be as clear. How can you make it easier?

At Home Your Way has some simple suggestions for making the transition from childhood to adulthood easier for special needs young adults.

Our Top Tips for Transitioning to Adult Living as a Young Adult with Special Needs

Here are our top suggestions for transitioning to adult living as a special needs individual.

  1. Build Your Work Resume

A great way to prepare yourself for the outside adult world is by creating and/or updating a work resume. Not sure what to include on a work resume? Even without any “formal” jobs, there are work experiences worth including, such as volunteering, temporary summer jobs, helping out neighbors, etc. Helping others and including that assistance on the resume could be anything from walking an elderly neighbor’s dog, raking leaves, gardening, etc.

Having a variety of volunteering opportunities on your child’s resume is a great way to show that they are engaged with your community and helps highlight social and business skills.

Here’s a great guide on getting started with writing a work resume.

  1. Explore Your Housing Options

Depending on the special needs individual in question, as well as the living situation, you may opt for your child to stay in your house as they transition to an adult. For other situations, a dorm at a college, cooperative housing, in an apartment with roommates, or residential housing with services may be preferred.

With different developmental disabilities or intellectual disabilities, a varied amount of supervision and oversight may be in order. It will also depend on their local community and surroundings, who they are living with, what kind of care they require, and how independent they are.

There are also both state and federal-subsidized housing programs. If your special needs child receives county services, a social worker can assist you in exploring different options.

You should also consider the location, which could make the living situation more or less convenient depending on how close the housing is to your child’s school, job, etc. If your child has a dog or just likes to walk outside, consider the safety of the roads and neighborhood as well.

transition to adult living

  1. Connect with Local Adult Service Providers

Once your special needs child graduates from high school, the IDEA special education services come to an end. What this means is that the IEP team is no longer going to be available to provide disability-related services that are needed. So this means that services like physical and/or speech therapy, transportation, etc. will need to be provided by different sources.

It’s important to look into other governmental programs to ensure your child gets the support they need.

Here is a great list of resources to get you started.

  1. Always Be Ready for Change

The last suggestion on the list is to make sure you and your special needs child are ready for whatever is waiting for them in the future. Nothing is certain – plans will change, and it’s important to stay on your toes and stay positive no matter what.

Learning More with At Home Your Way

Interested in learning more about transitioning into adult living as a special needs child? Wanting to learn more about the resources available to you? Look no further than At Home Your Way!

Check out out our searchable resource list to find out more about what we have to offer!

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email
Translate »
Scroll to Top